Thursday, August 02, 2007

The times they are(n't) a-changin'

Progress is slow in Norfolk and the best way to illustrate it is to show you these photographs taken at Joyland in Great Yarmouth. I don't know how long the bumpy snails had been there before I first went on them in the early 1980s but they are still there now, exactly the same, over 20 years later.

Me and my nan on the snails circa 1983




Me and my mum on the snails circa 1983




Me and my mum on the snails circa 1986




Me on the snails on my own in 2007




The model village in Great Yarmouth has not changed a lot either ...

Merrivale Model Village circa 1983




Merrivale Model Village circa 1983




Merrivale Model Village 2007




And don't get me started on the House of Wax! Nothing has been added to the wax work collection since circa 1996...




Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Badger said...

I just love the look of terror on your face when on the Snails in circa 1986.. bless you. I wonder what has been removed now that was once so very scary.

Badger x

3:29 am  
Blogger Martha said...

It is still as scary. I just tried to look brave now that I am a grown up!

7:27 am  
Blogger Princess Sarah said...

PMSL! I LOVE these pictures. There's some mighty fine 80s hairstyles on show here!

Bless you. Great Great Yarmouth hasn't changed - and neither have you!

Tim, who sits near me at work, is 46 and he says the snails were there when HE was a child! I do hope they are being cared for properly. They should be in a museum.

Badger: She was just as terrified this time around! You should have heard her scream...oh no, wait, that was me in Louis Theroux's House of Wax. Truly terrifying!

4:08 am  
Blogger Martha said...

I have just found a review of the snails on a website.

It says, "It's a nice fun little ride which has a little novelty, although anyone older than infant school age probably won't be that enthusiastic about it."

Needless to say I disagree with this!

2:47 am  
Blogger Princess Sarah said...

Yeah, I saw that. It also said that theme parks on the east coast are obsessed with fish-themed rides. How funny is that!

5:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home