Friday, May 25, 2007

The magic of Montmartre



I survived Paris and what's more I had a fantastic time. We took about 400 photographs during our weekend stay but I have just picked a small selection for you here.
The Musee d'Orsay was wonderful, the Tour Eiffel impressive and the Centre Georges Pompidou was just plain crazy.
We walked most places to get a good feel of the city and in the centre of Paris it felt just like London. There were impressive things to see but it was generally busy with lots of traffic.
I much preferred the area around our hotel - Montmartre.
If I had been 10 years younger, without the responsibilities I have now, I could have been very tempted to stay. I got completely sucked in by the magic of Montmatre. The beautiful buildings, cobbled streets and so many cafes and boulangeries.
Eating breakfast outside while people-watching was a real treat and the view from the top of the Butte was stunning, especially while watching the sun go down with a glass of wine.
We walked in the footsteps of Amelie Poulain, ate twice at the Cafe des Deux Moulins, strolled down Rue St Vincent and bought biscuits from M. Collingnon.
I loved Place des Abbessess where our hotel was. It had an original Art Nouveau metro entrance designed by Hector Guimard, busking beatniks and church bells which waited until the sociable hour of 9am before chiming.
It was a very special weekend that I will never forget although I think it will be a while before I am ready to spread my wings again.


















1 Comments:

Blogger Princess Sarah said...

Can I presume that the gentleman with the magnificent beard was Beard of the Holiday? I am very much enjoying his extensive facial hair, and also portraits of men with extensive facial hair.

Thank you for the lovely photos - I look forward to seeing more and hearing more about it tomorrow.

Good to have you back. Now don't go away again, unless we synchronise our holidays.

6:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home