Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Making a difference


I don't know if it's because I've been feeling rather disillusioned and underappreciated recently or if it's the inevitable life assessment that comes with being 'nearly 30' but I've been thinking of what I have added to the world.
My mum always wanted me to be a nurse and I think I would have been very good at the caring side of it but I am not very good around ill people. I just don't have the stomach for it.
I chose the career I did because it was something I enjoyed and I thought it was something I was good at. Now I am not so sure.
I admire paramedics, firefighters, aid workers - the heros of our society who save lives and really make a difference. I would love to be able to do that but I can't. It's just not me.
The odd charity donation just doesn't seem enough compared to the contributions made by others to society. But maybe if you take care of the small things it will have a knock on effect - like the old saying, "watch the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves".
Taking care of my family, and to a lesser extent my friends, is something I am good at and find very rewarding. People tell me I am good at it and it makes me happy. It makes me feel like I have fulfilled a need.
It was confirmed by a personality test that I am a 'compulsive helper' but I knew this already as I am at my happiest when I am helping people. So, do me a favour - make my day and ask for my help!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess Sarah said...

You are one of the most caring people I know.

Who was the first person to text me when you heard about the flooding in Yorkshire? You were - you got there hours before my own family did.

You are always asking how we are, and I know you are always there if I ever need help, advice, someone to rant to or someone to cheer me up. That's what makes a true friend, and I'd be lost without you.

Don't ever change! You are wonderful and I love you very very much xxx

11:02 am  
Blogger Martha said...

Aw, thank you Princess. I feel the same way about you. It's a shame that not everyone is as nice as us!

1:35 pm  
Blogger Princess Sarah said...

If more people were like us, the world would be a better place! heehee!


(how narcissistic!)

2:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home